Sunday, April 10, 2011

Gold in my weird neighborhood

This morning when I was walking home to my apartment in the deep part of the lower east side (if you consider it the les still/chinatown/projects area), I decided to take Henry street, which I never do, but because I don't think after years of living a block south of it that I have ever walked on Henry. And when I turned the corner I came across a storefront with no sign and the window full of beautiful cactus plants, and I peeked in and saw an array of gorgeous leather shoes and bags. After some digging, I found out it is called ABK and the owner, Alya Kazakevich hand makes all of the leather goods. I am going to try to go back today with Luke. It is odd and really exciting coming across anything like this south of Canal street. A little treasure on my end of the neighborhood

17 comments:

P R I M O E Z A said...

oh, i wanted to go there when i visited but never made it...and i thought it was in brooklyn. i probably would have ended up in the wrong place anyway!

Ringo, have a banana! said...

Whaaaa, hello new sandals crush! Definitely need to go there and poke around!

Jesm said...

holy cow (no pun intended),
those are some beautiful shoes.

Ginger Snap'♥ said...

Just came across your blog its so lovely im following :) I love these shoes

http://www.gingerrsnap.blogspot.com/

Hannah Elise said...

YES! I love her work, the little oxford flats have been on my wishlist FOR SO LONG. I first heard about A.b.k here:

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/abk-custom-leather-craft/

I loved hearing about how she got started, too cool!

fania said...

excellent discovery ...... wonderful creations

Ciaoooo http://lagattacolbroncio.blogspot.com/

SASHA said...

woah awesome

DREAMY said...

they are so beautiful and simple. what a find!

Chesney said...

how nifty that you found this down a street nearby you. i wonder what's lurking around the corner in my town. haa, lovely shoes. lovely bag's, too.

Iulia Romana said...

I've just found your blog, and I really love it ♥. The shoes are gorgeous and what makes them even more special is that they are handmade. I also ADORE the bag in the last photo. Did you buy something ?

Hugs !

fuschiaaa said...

Oh my god, all these things totally align to my taste, perfectly simple. Mmm the leather is delicious!

Moshtari said...

I adore these shoes. Do you know how I could buy them? I´m in Germany :D Maybe online or via postal

Caitlin said...

Moshtari - I think if you contacted her through her website it would work! I linked in the post. x

Luna said...

i need those ones with the perferated detail on it! lovely photos!

Claire M. said...

Love it! Adorable shoes :)
Claire M.

stilon stilanda said...

amazing! want all of these shoes!

Dylana Suarez said...

These shoes are all so wonderful!

xoxo,

colormenana.blogspot.com